Monday, June 9, 2014

Western Pennsylvania

Yesterday I traveled from Bedford, Pennsylvania to Canton, Ohio.  The morning hours were nice, but the afternoon was full of rain.  Here are some pictures from the day...

LH Mural on barn



Flight 93 Memorial near Shanksville, PA.  This is where the passengers fought the terrorists on September 11 and they didn't make it to Washington.  The plane crashed just to the left, and is marked by a boulder.

The Compass Inn, an old stagecoach
stop still in operation for travelers
Lincoln Highway Museum closed on Sunday



As I approached Pittsburgh, I stopped for something to eat at the most unusual McDonald's I had ever seen.  The man who developed the Big Mac sandwich was the owner of this restaurant, and he is saluted here with a "Big Mac Museum."  There were all types of displays, but it was also a working McDonalds.


The afternoon was rainy.  I was trying to explore downtown Pittsburgh when the weather hit.  They had a festival going on at the forks of the rivers where the Ohio River is formed; also, the Pirates were playing the Brewers, so traffic was pretty bad.  I spent the rest of the day negotiating the mountain roads in cloudy and drizzly condtions, so I didn't do much sightseeing.  Was glad to get to Canton, Ohio, for some rest.



4 comments:

  1. Hello from south Georgia! Got out my atlas to find you on the map. I am enjoying the pictures and posts! Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have to get out MY atlas, too! I've been "turned around" more than once on this trip!! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you had to fight that nasty traffic into Pittsburgh! I hope you are enjoying your travels through Pennsylvania along the Lincoln Highway. You passed right through my neck of the woods. Great blog! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Jennifer! Though I'm not much for mountain driving, I really enjoyed my time in Pennsylvania. There's lots to see and do!

      Delete